title="Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby Parish Council in North Yorkshire">

News  »  Police Commissioner Consultation on Precept



   Police Commissioner Consultation on Precept    18 December, 2018
As Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner it is Julia's responsibility to set the police and fire precepts

police precept‘– the amount you pay for policing in your council tax
fire precept‘ – the amount you pay for fire and rescue services in your council tax

The two services have distinct finances and funding.

  • The precept raised for policing is used to fund the Police.
  • The precept raised for fire and rescue is used for the Fire and Rescue Service

Before Julia sets the precepts, she wants to hear your thoughts. Please take a few moments to complete the survey and tell her how much you are prepared to pay next year for both the police, and fire service in North Yorkshire.

https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/how-can-we-help/your-say/consultations/precept-consultation/

Your views are important so please tell Julia what you think:

Survey closes mid night 20 January 2019

What are the options?

An average Band D property currently pays £232.82 per year for policing.

The Government allows Police, Fire and Crime Commissioners to increase the police precept by up to £24 per year for a Band D property. This would raise an additional £7m.

The options Julia want to hear your opinions on are:

  • Pay no more than you pay now – a precept freeze.
    This would mean a real terms cut to the police budget when inflation is taken into account
  • Pay the same increase as last year – an extra £11.50 per year for a Band D property
    This would raise £3.5m
  • Pay an increase of between £11.50 and £24
    This would raise up to £7m
  • Pay an increase of more than £24
    This would raise more than £7m

How is North Yorkshire Police funded?

About 52 per cent of funding comes from the Government while the remaining 48 per cent is raised locally, mainly through the ‘police precept’ – the amount you pay for policing in your council tax.

Our government funding is reducing year on year with continued reductions forecast for 2019/20.

North Yorkshire Police needs to make savings of £10m each year from 2020.

Fire precept

The North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is facing serious financial challenges and Julia is determined to ensure it has a strong and sustainable future keeping North Yorkshire safe.

The fire service currently attend around 6,500 incidents per year from fires to road traffic collisions, flooding to other emergencies.

Our Fire Service needs to make savings of at least £3.5m each year from 2020 onwards.

What are the options?

An average Band D property pays £69.20 per year for the fire and rescue service.

The Government currently caps the amount of money Julia can raise by 2.99% or £2. This would raise an additional £600,ooo but will leave considerable financial challenges.

The options Julia want to hear your opinions on are:

  • Pay no more than you pay now – a precept freeze.
    This would mean a real terms cut to the fire and rescue budget when inflation is taken into account.
  • Pay the same increase as last year – a 2.99% increase – an extra £2 per year for a Band D property.
    This would raise £600,000.
  • Pay an increase of between £2 and £5
    This would raise up to £1.5m
  • Pay an increase of more than £5
    This would raise more than £1.5m

How is North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service funded?

About 70 per cent of funding comes from the Government while the remaining 30 per cent is raised locally, mainly through the ‘fire precept’ – the amount you pay for the fire and rescue service in your council tax.

Our government funding is reducing year on year with continued reductions forecast for 2019/20.

The North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service needs to make savings of £3.5m each year.

 

[+ go back...]


Page last updated: 1 February, 2014